Welcome to My Continuing Online Journey!

Perhaps you've read my book by now, or maybe you've only heard of it and were curious about me, or maybe you're even just surfing the web and happened on one of my posts, but please take your time and wander around. I've got enough to say, I'll be posting for some years yet! Lots of resources, personal entries, and discussion to be had; please contribute (respectfully) to it without fear of being lambasted. (Read: all comments will be moderated for relevance and basic appropriateness.) Finally, if you are here because you have heard my story or one like it and are willing to lend your support to us indoctrinated folk entering the real world, Thank You. With love, Regina

Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Cult or the Corporation?

My husband and one of his brothers recently had a conversation that started over me and my disaffection, but led to my thanking my husband as wholeheartedly as I know how.

You see, his brother called to check on him; he knows that I don't believe, and was wondering how my husband was coping with his apostate wife. My husband said he understands my views, that they are valid, and that he loves me and we're hanging in there. His brother proceeded to quiz my husband about his own personal views about the church, and my husband revealed that he has been struggling, now that the things I've learned have come to light.

His brother then bore his testimony, and stated that he still believes in the truthfulness of the church.

Then comes my favorite part. My husband replied with a question: "Which church? The cult from history, or the corporation of today?"

It didn't go over all that well, of course, and his brother stated that my husband clearly knows things he doesn't, but that he still believes, nonetheless.

Blablabla, whatever. Point is, I LOVE-LOVE-LOVED his question. The cult, or the corporation.

Because that's what it is, you know. Actually, it's still a cult, but under Joseph and Brigham and the early church leaders, it was a downright mafia. These days, it's all about the proverbial Benjamins, and I ain't talkin' King Benjamin. (Still waitin' on getting a glance at those books I contributed to, Church!)

So, my dear Brother-by-Marriage, which is it? The cult or the corporation? Because for me, it's neither. I cannot worship a god who expects of me what the Mormon faith expected of its adherents 150 years ago, and I certainly cannot worship a god who contributes a few million to charitable causes...and $1.5 billion to a shopping mall.

The cult. The corporation. Really, who cares what it is today? I don't. I'm no longer a Mormon. ;)

1 comment:

  1. The shpping mail gave people 2000 jobs, but thats all i know i read that somewhere, i don't think the lds church should have spent millions on prop 8, thats just wrong.

    ReplyDelete

I will approve all respectful and appropriate comments to this blog. However, if your comment does not get approved, please keep in mind I am busy running a household and cannot respond excessively. Thank you.