Welcome to My Continuing Online Journey!

Perhaps you've read my book by now, or maybe you've only heard of it and were curious about me, or maybe you're even just surfing the web and happened on one of my posts, but please take your time and wander around. I've got enough to say, I'll be posting for some years yet! Lots of resources, personal entries, and discussion to be had; please contribute (respectfully) to it without fear of being lambasted. (Read: all comments will be moderated for relevance and basic appropriateness.) Finally, if you are here because you have heard my story or one like it and are willing to lend your support to us indoctrinated folk entering the real world, Thank You. With love, Regina

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Boyd K. Packer's CES Talk, 1981

Ever hear or read something that, to others, is perfectly innocuous, but makes you shake and cough like The Police? I just read Boyd K. Packer's CES talk from 1981 entitled "The Mantle is Far, Far Greater than the Intellect," and to a disaffected member, it sounds like a Hilterian proclamation at a Nazi function. I'm going to copy and paste it in its entirety; please read it twice. The first time, read like a faithful Mormon. The second time, read like a German hiding Jews in your attic...as a BYU professor whose research has contradicted the church's history. And buckle up. It's a bumpy ride.

No, wait, scratch that: I attempted to reformat the copy-and-paste from the pdf on the church website, and it's taking too bloody long, so I'm just going to post a link to the original.

Please go here.

Did you read it?

Oh...My...Goodness.

Really, what more can I say? That was the single least-veiled threat I've ever, ever read. It's quite literally terrifying, and honestly, it just kept getting more and more terrifying, the further I read.

It's a bit like my experience learning about the proverbial man behind the curtain: the rabbit hole goes so deep, I'm in a sub-basement of hell...and this talk was the welcome speech.

Good stuff, huh?


3 comments:

  1. Regina, do not spread disease germs!!

    Sorrrry, I couldn't resist.
    Yep, once the kool-aid is imbibed, the mind is closed. Rather than judging the truth claims of the church against reality, "so-called reality" is judged by the religion.

    Check out this blog:

    http://aboutmormons.org/3091/boyd-k-packer-apostle-artist-teacher

    The comments section tells it all:

    "Great article!"
    "Thanks, Mandy! You are great!

    "Thank you for giving us a different perspective of an Apostle of Christ. I love to know how much the importance of family is to such a busy man. And to know that simple words and actions is such a great teacher."
    "Thank you Casey! Isn’t it amazing how true disciples of Christ are all about the basics? You are like that. Thank you."

    "Very informative and endearing. Thanks for taking the time to write this!"
    "Thank you Cami! You are so good."

    "What a lovely article about this beloved Apostle of the Lord, President Packer. Thank you, so much, for sharing these many things which you learned during your interview – what a choice experience!"
    "Thank you Kathryn; that means a lot coming from you."

    Such deep exchanges between friends is reminiscent of the depth of discussion and thought to be found in the BOM itself!!! Golly, it's sooo true! Don't you just love it!

    If of such is the kingdom of God, please let me hang out with the "bitter apostates" so I don't shoot myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O...M...FSM. I think I vurped reading the article, let alone the comments. (They made me want to beat my head against a brick wall.) I don't know whether to thank you for sharing, excuse myself for a vomit session, or quick and find some OJ to counterbalance the sugary-sweet crap you pasted! UGH! :) That said, I'm right there with you, Robert! Find me in outer darkness, will you? You'd be a ton of fun to hang out with! :) (And please pardon my bad grammar!)

      Delete
  2. Wow. I have heard a bunch of those quotes from my husband's mouth when I have asked him questions throughout our marriage (me being a convert, and him pioneer stock). Now I know where they all came from.

    ReplyDelete

I will approve all respectful and appropriate comments to this blog. However, if your comment does not get approved, please keep in mind I am busy running a household and cannot respond excessively. Thank you.