Welcome to My Continuing Online Journey!

Perhaps you've read my book by now, or maybe you've only heard of it and were curious about me, or maybe you're even just surfing the web and happened on one of my posts, but please take your time and wander around. I've got enough to say, I'll be posting for some years yet! Lots of resources, personal entries, and discussion to be had; please contribute (respectfully) to it without fear of being lambasted. (Read: all comments will be moderated for relevance and basic appropriateness.) Finally, if you are here because you have heard my story or one like it and are willing to lend your support to us indoctrinated folk entering the real world, Thank You. With love, Regina

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Selfishness

I confess, I'm horribly, horribly selfish: I LIKE having TWO days to spend with my family and recuperate before the next workweek! Before, I had half of one! Now, TWO!

Half of one, you ask? Why, yes. You probably haven't heard the LDS children's primary song that goes, "Saturday is a special day. It's the day we get ready for Sunday! We clean our clothes and we polish our shoes so we won't have to work until Monday!" Yup...Saturdays are for getting stuff done and for engaging in preparation for Sundays, and Sundays are for worshiping. So long about midday Saturday, it's time to crack open those lessons, get everything set up and laid out for the Sabbath, and get yourself in the proverbial "spirit" for church the next day. The next day, you get to load up the crockpot, get ready for church in your Sunday best, worship for 3 hours, attend any additional meetings, pray, listen to church music, maybe watch church-related films, write letters to missionaries, take naps (my old standby favorite), and even visit the sick. (Jane Austin moment!) Beyond that? Wait 'til Monday, or you're breaking the sabbath. (And don't you even THINK of buying anything!)

Now? No Sunday prep. Saturdays are OURS. And guess what else? Sundays are ours, too!!! All that hard-earned money that would have gone to tithing (read: to support the retirement plans of Salt Lake church employees)? Keep it and spend a little on a fun family activity and/or meal on Sunday. It's GLORIOUS, people.

It's true, I'm selfish. The interesting part about it, though, is that since we now have 2 full days of fun on the weekend, we're MUCH more likely to devote part of it to community service! (I kid you not; 2 of the last 5 weekends, we've done exactly that!) Ironic, isn't it?

Anyway, I love weekends...more now than ever. Amazing how much happier a person can be when they take a step back, reassess, and CHOOSE. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will approve all respectful and appropriate comments to this blog. However, if your comment does not get approved, please keep in mind I am busy running a household and cannot respond excessively. Thank you.