Welcome to My Continuing Online Journey!

Perhaps you've read my book by now, or maybe you've only heard of it and were curious about me, or maybe you're even just surfing the web and happened on one of my posts, but please take your time and wander around. I've got enough to say, I'll be posting for some years yet! Lots of resources, personal entries, and discussion to be had; please contribute (respectfully) to it without fear of being lambasted. (Read: all comments will be moderated for relevance and basic appropriateness.) Finally, if you are here because you have heard my story or one like it and are willing to lend your support to us indoctrinated folk entering the real world, Thank You. With love, Regina

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Disclaimer: Just Because I'm Fallible Doesn't Make My Arguments Meaningless

As a member of the Mormon church, I used to occasionally hear arguments against the church, and one of two things happened, always followed by a third: 1) I'd dismiss the arguments because of something as simple and foolish as a typo, which typo confirmed that the person making the argument was an idiot and their argument needn't be heeded, or 2) I'd dismiss the arguments because of some character flaw in or sin committed by the person making the argument.

Yes, I really did.

And then the third thing hits, whether I accepted either the first or second situation: Cognitive Dissonance kicks in.

So I ask you to be more open-minded than I was. If you find my book and/or blog full of typos, sentence fragments, or even facts I've blown, please know that I am as fallible as anyone. I can only correct what I'm aware of; if you need me to fix a fact or typo, just let me know. (For instance, I referred to "Ricks" in my book by the name "Ricks" instead of "BYU-I." I fixed it when a friend reminded me that I needed to refer to it by its current name.)

If you've read the book, you know I've said and done some awfully stupid, unkind, idiotic things in my life. I'm guessing you have, too, so please cut me a little slack. My mind still functions relatively well, and my arguments still have merit, even though my life is full of mistakes and regrets. I am happy to listen to other arguments and concede to any correct point. Please be as open to discussion as I am, and as willing to scrutinize your faith. (After all, if it can't hold up to scrutiny, is it really "of God"?) I admit freely when I'm not sure, have no clue, or am entirely wrong, no matter how uncomfortable or humiliating that might be. I only ask for the same respect.

So. Thanks in advance for your patience with my grammatical errors, inadequacies, and foolishness. I look forward to honest and open dialogue, and hope you won't hold my foibles against me.

1 comment:

  1. If I had read your book 10 years ago, I would have dismissed it the minute I read you had premarital sex. For others who are reading it, I want to say that I am in the same place as Regina, and never have done anything that would require going to my bishop to confess. Nada. Yet, here I am. I, like Regina, started doubting after delving deeper into the scriptures. Instead of receiving more peace, I found conflict, contradiction and confusion. I went through years of cognitive dissonance, and finally, last year, decided I couldn't live a lie anymore. I feel so much more at peace now that I can be honest with myself. Next step: being honest with my family and friends. I'm not all the way there yet.

    ReplyDelete

I will approve all respectful and appropriate comments to this blog. However, if your comment does not get approved, please keep in mind I am busy running a household and cannot respond excessively. Thank you.